HOW TO CARE FOR YOUR SWEATERS
It shouldn't be necessary to clean your Tempest + Bentley sweaters often, still it is important to care for them properly when the time comes. We recommend that you take your sweater to an environmentally friendly dry cleaner or hand wash your sweaters. All fibers have unique care needs and we've put together our tips for caring for and protecting your wool sweaters.
Tempest + Bentley knitwear is made of the highest quality natural yarns, and require's special care when cleaning. To be sure your sweaters maintain their integrity, please follow these care guidelines.
HAND WASHING YOUR WOOL SWEATERS
- Fill your basin with cool water. Add mild soap, preferably an eco-friendly variety. We recommend Planet Delicate Laundry Wash.
- Place sweater in the water and swirl gently for about 8 minutes. For more heavily soiled spots, gently blot with a soft cloth and try not to rub.
- Drain and rinse sweater in cool water. Gently press the sweater to remove excess water, being careful not to wring or twist.
- Spread sweater flat on a thick, dry towel. Roll the sweater up in the towel like you would with a yoga mat, to squeeze out excess water. Don't twist or wring.
- Unroll and lay sweater on a dry towel. Reshape and lay flat to dry, away from sunlight or direct heat. After 12 to 24 hours, turn sweater over and spread out on a fresh dry towel. Reshape more if needed.
- Once completely dry, your sweater should be ready to wear.
STORING YOUR SWEATERS
It's best to make sure your sweaters are clean before you store them, as moths and other pests feed off sweat and stains. You also don't want stains and odors to set in. Sometimes you can simply air a sweater out by placing it in or near fresh air, to get rid of odors. Always fold your sweaters. You don't want them to stretch out of shape from hanging. Also, make sure they're stored out of direct sunlight.
KEEP YOUR SWEATERS LOOKING FRESH AND NEW
All natural fibers pill. Remove any pilling with a sweater shaver when necessary. Avoid too much pressure when using a sweater shaver, to avoid creating a hole.
Read more about Tempest + Bentley knitwear care tips from health, wellness and sustainable living blogger Lindsay Mueller of WELL / AWARE for UPPERLYNE.